#Simple7 Tips to Avoid Type 2 Diabetes
November is #DiabetesAwarenessMonth. While there are three main types of this chronic disease, Type 2 diabetes is the most common, and is typically diagnosed in adults. Type 2 develops over many years and can be not only delayed but also prevented. By making healthy lifestyle changes, you can avoid this disease in its entirety. While it’s easier said than done, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the key to avoiding many chronic diseases.
For #DiabetesAwarenessMonth, we’ve developed #Simple7 tips for you to follow along with and slowly add to your daily routine. For healthy behavior change, it’s important to set small goals for yourself and work toward them, little by little. When you try to do a complete 180 overnight, it can be difficult to maintain that change over time.
Follow along with us on our social channels this month and explore the #Simple7 in more detail below.
#Simple7 TIP #1: MANTÉNGASE ACTIVO.
- Go for a walk after dinner instead of watching TV.
- Join a gym.
- Park farther away at work or while running errands.
- Stand up and stretch every 30 to 60 minutes today.
- Swap the car for a bike whenever possible.
- Find time to fit in a yoga class — at a local gym or online.
- Plan a new exercise for the weekend, such as hiking.
#Simple7 TIP #2: WATCH YOUR PORTIONS.
- Put the amount that you plan to eat into a bowl or container instead of eating straight from the package.
- People tend to consume more from a larger package, without realizing it. To avoid overconsumption, divide the contents of one large package into several smaller containers.
#Simple7 TIP #3: EASY, HEALTHY SUBSTITUTIONS.
- Use low-fat or fat-free milk instead of 2% or whole milk.
- Try olive oil cooking spray rather than butter, when using a frying pan.
- Choose wheat bread over white bread.
- Replace one sugary beverage a day with water or tea.
- Pack fresh vegetables for lunch (carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers) rather than visiting the vending machine.
- Instead of a cookie, reach for a bowl of fresh fruit after dinner.
#Simple7 TIP #4: CONSIDER AVOIDING THESE UNHEALTHY CHOICES.
- High-calorie beverages such as soda and other soft drinks
- High-sodium foods (pizza, cold-cut sandwiches, burritos, many soups, cheese)
- High-cholesterol foods (animal products like cheese, fatty meats, dairy desserts)
- Saturated fat (cheese, fatty meat, whole milk and cream, butter, ice cream)
- Trans-fat foods (cookies, frozen pizza, frozen pies, savory snacks)
- Added sugar (cereals, desserts, sauces, sodas)
- Alcoholic beverages
#Simple7 TIP #5: DEJE DE FUMAR.
- Smokers are 30 to 40% more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes than nonsmokers.
- You can find help quitting.
#Simple7 TIP #6: MONITOR PRESSURE.
- Your blood pressure normally rises and falls throughout the day. However, if your blood pressure stays high for a long time, it can damage your heart and lead to health problems.
- Find more information about how to monitor your blood pressure.
#Simple7 TIP #7: SCHEDULE REGULAR CHECKUPS.
- Stay on top of your health by scheduling regular doctor visits. While it may seem obvious, getting regular checkups may help you catch Type 2 diabetes and prevent other chronic illnesses.
Looking for more? Get the information you need in order to stay healthy by visiting our blog regularly.