The holidays can be the happiest time of year — and the unhealthiest. You can still have fun and stay healthy at the same time by following these 10 healthy holiday tips:
- Eat before a party. Fill up on healthy whole grains, wheat bread, and brown rice before you go out.
- Avoid the dips. Foods with solid fats — like butter, cream, and shortening — are some of the worst for you.
- Downsize you portion. Reduce your calorie intake with smaller helpings and if you go out to eat, ask your server when ordering to box up half of your meal to bring home. That way you are sure to avoid added calories.
- Do desserts right. You can still enjoy desserts, but just be smart about it. Try healthier options like this healthy twist on chocolate chip cookies.
- Create healthy traditions. Make being active a part of holiday fun by taking a nice walk with the family after your meal.
- Stay active regularly. Choose an activity you like. Start exercising for at least 10 minutes a day, gradually working your way up to 60 minutes.
- Map out your healthy lifestyle. Find local fresh produce at farmers’ markets, or hike a trail at the park near your neighborhood.
- Stay up-to-date on you. Schedule an annual well visit and talk to your health care provider about what cancer screenings you need and when to get them.
- Give yourself a break. The holidays can be a bit overwhelming, be sure to get plenty of rest. Find out how much sleep is recommended for you.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day — you can even add a little lemon or ginger for flavor and added health benefits such as boosting your immune system and reducing effects of indigestion.
If you are overweight or obese, reducing your weight will not only make you feel better, it can also help prevent chronic diseases and even cancer. Make healthy living a part of your daily routine and report your progress on how you used the above holiday health tips by sharing with us on our HealthyDE Facebook page.